The traditional picture of retirement involved working to age 65, taking a pension, and hoping for a life of endless leisure. So, what is wrong with that picture???? Lots.
• Corporate pensions are a disappearing beast
• People are leaving work earlier
• We are living longer than our parents’ generation ever expected
• Vibrant seniors want to try their hands at something else, either full- or part-time work, and either paid or unpaid
• A life of leisure without meaning nor purpose is just plainly unsatisfying
• Without a plan, depression is far too common for “retired” people
Next: Looking at the benefits of pre-retirement work and how to replace them.